Students already covered by an equivalent health and/or dental plan (such as a parent or spouse’s employee benefit plan) can opt-out of the UMSU plan through an online process. Opting-out is an online process that must be completed every school year before the deadline.
You can opt-out between:
- Aug. 20 – Sept. 18, 2014 if you start school in the Fall term, and
- Dec. 22, 2014 – Jan. 20, 2015 if you are a new Winter term student.
- Check your Aurora account summary to ensure you were charged the UMSU Health & Dental Fees.
- Before opting-out, consider whether it’s beneficial to be covered under both plans to maximize coverage and eliminate out-of-pocket costs.
- If you choose to opt-out, visit www.ihaveaplan.ca and follow the instructions under “Opt-Outs” from the menu on the right before the deadline.
- Be prepared to upload proof of alternative health and/or dental coverage (such as a copy of your benefits card or a letter from your parent or spouse’s employer). Your document must indicate your name, the name of the insurance company, the policy number, and whether coverage is for health and/or dental.
- Check whether the e-mail you receive is final confirmation of a successful opt-out. Additional review and/or information may be required.
- Keep all e-mails you receive. You may be asked to provide them as proof at a later date.
- With a successful opt-out, the UMSU Health & Dental Fees will be reversed on your Aurora account after the opt-out deadline.
- You must opt-out EVERY year.
For further information:
- Refer to www.ihaveaplan.ca
- Call toll-free 1-855-535-3282
- Visit the UMSU Health & Dental Plan office at 110 University Centre